We all know that if we want to lose weight or increase our muscle mass, we need to be eating a healthy and balanced diet. Over the years research has shown that we consume far more than the recommended amounts of fat in our daily diet.
I thought I would share some of the fun and simple ways I reduce the amount of fat I consume without depriving my body of the things I love (Nutella!)
- Prepare Low-fat salad dressing by mixing balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard, and herbs
- Drain non-fat yogurt through a sieve overnight in the refrigerator, then use in any recipes that call for cream or cheese
- Replace cream with evaporated skim milk when preparing sauces or desserts
- Keep olive oil in a spray container to control the amounts used when greasing pans; this is a much healthier alternative to PAM and other cooking sprays
- Make your own french fries (or Sweet Potato fries) at home in the oven (do not fry them!)
- Substitute egg whites for whole eggs whenever possible
- Substitute fresh fruit or fruit smoothies for baked goods
- Grill you meats whenever possible to drain maximum amounts of fat during the cooking process (I love the George Forman grill for the Canadian winter)
- Substitute applesauce (or any baby-food fruits) for 1/3 of the total oil in any dessert recipe…Strained prunes actually enhance the chocolate flavour in brownies!
- AVOID FAST FOOD!!!
If you have any other fun and easy ways we can cut the fat from our diets I would like to hear them and add them to the list!